• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: new plug in town: KURO-SHEEVA  (Read 4382 times)
rooster
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2009, 11:58:01 PM »

check this new plug: http://kuroutoshikou.com/modules/display/?iid=1440 it includes eSATA

fedor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 01:21:13 AM »

Great. Sadly the website says sold only in Japan, as does every other reference for it. Not only that but it is listed as:
"Thank sold out, thank you for purchasing"
Sorry, no longer in stock.
Price: 16,800 yen

superpat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 04:54:13 AM »

Hi,

Very interesting.

Some time ago there was a big project:- www.nas-central.org to put an open version of software on BUFFALO NAS boxes, (they used a Marvell SOC!). About the same time Kuro produced an open version of the Buffalo NAS, for the Japanese DIY market, it was known as the KURO-BOX.  They were extremely difficult to obtain outside of Japan, there was a US vendor:- www.revogear.com, but they never seemed to have stock.

Unless Kuro have changed their operation, it may be as difficult to obtain the Kuro-Sheeva plug.  HOWEVER!

There are now two vendors of E-Sata equipped  Sheevaplugs.  (Ctera being the other).  Neither of these vendors are buying standard units and fitting the extra components and plug as I have done, the cost would be prohibitive.

I am sure GlobalScale have a E-Sata equipped version in production for OEM's, orderable on request in volume!

I am sure if NewIT or another retailer were to approach GlobalScale with a bundle of cash, then we could see an E-Sata version on the market very soon!

BTW  Completely OT, I see NewIT are stocking OpenRD-client units cased at this time for 189 (inc vat).  This has 2.5in on board Sata connector and mounting location and a second E-Sata connector. Unfortunately that is getting a bit rich for an elcheapo low consumption system,  esp. a system with no FPU. The Pcie video card and the drive bump the power up a lot as well.

Obviously it all depends on your applications.

cheers

P

Edit for clarity
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 05:26:46 AM by superpat » Logged

yellowbug

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 05:09:47 AM »

Would rather chose QNAP TS119 NAS box, Same architecture as SheevaPlug, but with a internal sata bay and a eSATA interface.

knireis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 01:15:04 AM »

Would rather chose QNAP TS119 NAS box, Same architecture as SheevaPlug, but with a internal sata bay and a eSATA interface.

is rather expensive at 260 euro's

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: