• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Howto copy debian on an usb-stick to a sd-card and boot from that?  (Read 2203 times)
truehl

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2009, 06:59:48 AM »

Hi,
i would like to copy an existing debian on an usb-stick to a sd-card and boot the plug from this sd-card. please note that i use a sheevaplug from NewIT which is modified for UBIFS an muliboot. I think the environment variables are slightly differnt form the original witch cost me a lot of probs.

Thanks,
Thomas

odoll

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 08:13:45 AM »

I once used the instructions at http://computingplugs.com/index.php/Booting_entirely_off_an_external_USB_device#Copy_over_the_default_kernel_and_filesystem to move the FS from the NAND to an SD-Card. I guess you can do the same adapting it for USB-Stick to SD.

However I would even would make an easier approach: making an image (e.g. with Winimage) of my USB-Stick and put the image back to my SD.

Of course you'd need to adapt the boot parameters as well, but because the confusion I have with those myself I won't make any recommendations ;-)

drbob49

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 01:13:03 PM »

Hi,

I used the instructions in  http://thesalmonfarm.org/blog/2008/01/16/how-to-make-a-backup-image-of-an-usb-stick-or-sd-card/ to backup my SD card onto a USB stick of the same size.  The backing-up was done onto a USB hard disc connected to the Sheeva plug; the backup file was then 'bunzipped2' onto the USB stick using a linux pc - bit convoluted as I cannot connect the USB hard disc and stick to the sheeva simultaneously. 

Worked a treat - if /etc/fstab is written using UUIDs in place of /dev/sda or /dev/mmcblk0 then no changes are required - it will pick up the partitions perfectly.  All that was required was a change to the u-boot environmental parameters to pick up the USB in place of the SD card

It should would just as well going the other way.

HTH

Bob
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 01:15:48 PM by drbob49 » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: