• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Open u-boot 2009.11-01049 will not boot Marvell-patched kernel 2.6.22.18  (Read 2663 times)
osterluk

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2010, 11:31:22 PM »

[4/15/2010] This problem is now solved, I updated the Topic to be more specific. 

I'm the new owner of a SheevaPlug, and I've setup openocd and can de-brick my device.  Now I'm ready to make some partition changes.  I have some experience with u-boot development and kernel development, but I'm stumped.  I dropped an initramfs into the standard kernel source that ships with the plug.  I can boot it with the Marvel u-boot, 3.4.19 -- if I remember not to use the saveenv u-boot command -- because it corrupts the console variable.  So I know my kernel is good.   I prefer to use a newer version of u-boot that I'm familiar with, so I built the open u-boot and flashed it.  The kernel decompresses OK, but then it stops emitting text.  It is like it changed serial ports or something.  I also notices the env_p in bdinfo is null.  Is this a problem?  I suspect a parameter passing problem.

I've attached a file that shows a 'good' boot with u-boot-3.4.19 and a 'bad' boot with u-boot-11.09+ with the same exact kernel.

Any ideas?

* u-boot-problem.txt (15.3 KB - downloaded 352 times.)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 09:10:20 PM by osterluk » Logged

pingtoo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 06:48:25 AM »

Since you are using open u-boot you may have better luck use a non Marvell patched kernel. The Marvell patched kernel require marvell_tag in kernel parameters which open u-boot does not perform this setup.

Good luck Smiley

Good Luck Smiley

osterluk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 09:16:44 PM »

Thanks for the warning about the Marvell-patched kernel.  I got the latest stable kernel, 2.6.33.2 and used the kirkwood_defconfig to configure the kernel and build it and copied to /tftpboot

I build u-boot-2009.11-01049 and took all default configuration as well.  I did make u-boot.kwb and copied u-boot.kwb to /tftpboot.  After flashing u-boot and setting ipaddr and serverip, and doing:
set x_bootcmd_kernel 'tftp uImage 0x640000'
save

I can boot.  Next I can work out the dynamic partitioning and drop in the initramfs. 

Thanks again!

pingtoo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 06:08:53 AM »

What is
dynamic partitioning
?

Good Luck Smiley

osterluk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 09:38:25 PM »

By dynamic partitioning I mean that the kernel bootarg 'mtdparts' is parsed by the kernel to determine the size and position of the mtd partitions.  If static partitioning is used, the kernel would need to be re-built in order to change the partition layout.

wojo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 01:03:23 AM »

The kernel decompresses OK, but then it stops emitting text.  It is like it changed serial ports or something.
I had similar problems and traced them down to different architecture numbers. The shipped u-boot and kernel use a different architecture number (see arch/arm/tools/mach-types in kernel sources) than the official kernel and u-boot.
Using the original u-boot with a shipped kernel and vice versa fails because the kernel doesn't know the right board it runs on and therefore cannot initialize.

Wolfram

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: