• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tonido vs Amahi vs Plugbox  (Read 4608 times)
zachofalltrades

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2010, 04:52:31 PM »

I am quite pleased to have a TonidoPlug on the way so that I can actually get a home server up and running. I am a pretty competent tinkerer, but I'd prefer to have home server applications that work easily enough that my wife and kids can depend on: user/group file sharing, media server, backup services, etc.  I'm not sure whether I should just use Tonido out of the box, especially since it runs on a distro that no longer supports ARM processors. It looks like various good people have already done the heavy lifting to give me some choices-- I'm considering going the fedora/Amahi route, or possibly the Arch/plugbox route. Can anyone speak from experience as to how well these alternatives compare with Tonido, or make another recommendation?

ppmt

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 05:11:20 PM »

Hello,

What application do you think you will need?

I am testing Amahi (on a Guruplug) at the moment and not all applications are working correctly.

See that page:
http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Amahi_Plug_Edition

and for the apps that works for sure:

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/SP_Apps

Amahi is a nice product. I never tried Tonidoplug so can't say if it is better or not but at you say the Ubunutu no longer support ARM

zachofalltrades

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 06:38:37 AM »

and for the apps that works for sure:

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/SP_Apps

wow, that is a lot of stuff that is NOT working yet. It sounds like running Plugbox Linux (Arch) will actually allow me to run Tonido on top.
http://www.plugapps.com/index.php5?title=Getting_Started:_TonidoPlug

I'll get the best of both worlds that way - easy to use apps + open system for installing whatever I want.

Tonido actually supports its application suite on several Linux distros, as well as Mac and Windows, whereas Amahi is Fedora only.

knireis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 12:33:54 AM »

You can also run debian on your tonidoplug via usb and install tonido embedded on the debian base system. Debian supports the arm processor of the plug.

zachofalltrades

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 06:42:06 AM »

You can also run debian on your tonidoplug via usb and install tonido embedded on the debian base system. Debian supports the arm processor of the plug.

I saw that Debian was supporting plugs, and could not figure out why Ubuntu (which I run on two desktops at home) had dropped ARM support. I am certainly more familiar with Debian, but Plugbox linux (which ports Arch Linux to ARM) is natively compiled and has validated procedures to get up and running and still have the Tonido apps running. Their procedures would have me running the Tonido apps that are already installed in flash memory.

Is there any difference between "Tonido embedded" and the Tonido that runs out of the box on the Tonido plug?

-Zach

knireis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 06:53:03 AM »

I saw that Debian was supporting plugs, and could not figure out why Ubuntu (which I run on two desktops at home) had dropped ARM support. I am certainly more familiar with Debian, but Plugbox linux (which ports Arch Linux to ARM) is natively compiled and has validated procedures to get up and running and still have the Tonido apps running. Their procedures would have me running the Tonido apps that are already installed in flash memory.

Is there any difference between "Tonido embedded" and the Tonido that runs out of the box on the Tonido plug?

-Zach

nothing you would miss, there is no automounting of usb devices and the tonidoadmin app is not available

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: